Visits - Discoveries - Walks

Saint Louis Tower


visite tour saint louis

Port Saint Louis du Rhône et son histoire

histoire port saint louis a proximite du port  histoire port saint louis faubourg hardon

C'est une loi du 28 mars 1904 qui fit de Port Saint Louis du Rhône une commune. Avant cette date, la ville était liée à Arles pour 5/6ème de son territoire.
Prenez connaissance de toute son histoire en téléchargeant la brochure "Port Saint Louis du Rhône - Historique".
Téléchargez le PDF

La Saint Louis Tower (18ème siècle)

Individual fare: 3€- Free under 12 years.
Groups (contact us).
ANCV Holiday Vouchers, Lattitude 13 and Pass MyProvence vouchers accepted.

Pass Provence

1723 has a decision of the king’s council imposed a tax on salt going through the Rhône to the provinces of Rouergue, Auvergne, Lyonnais, Dauphiné, Languedoc and Provence.

Tax revenues were for the work carried out in the branch of the Launes. They were used 1737 to the construction of the Saint-Louis Tower. Originally at the mouth of the Rhône located, this one was the last of a series of many towers. A new tower had to be built every time the river overflowed its banks. These were dual purpose towers: They served first as surveillance towers and safe haven for surrounding populations and after as lighthouse.

This tower is 1942 registered on the inventory of historic monuments. The municipality obtains 1973 its management and regularly carries out restoration work. It houses today the offices of the tourist information centre.

Téléchargez la brochure de présentation du document en PDF

la tour saint louis illuminee  tour saint louis

THE ORNITHOLOGICAL COLLECTION

Permanent exhibition
Located on the first floor of the Saint-Louis Tower at the beginning of 1998, this is the largest collection in the Camargue. These 168 identified, according to their natural habitats classified birds are in display cabinets with information panels and other specification sheets. A map indicates the different types of habitats existing on our territory in order to make possible for visitors to see birds in the middle of the nature.

collection ornithologique  collection ornithologique

TEMPORARY SHOWROOM

Located on the second floor of the Saint-Louis Tower, this room welcomes all the year round painting, sculptures and pictures exhibitions from amateur or established artists as local history or other exhibitions.

Salles d'exposiitons temporaires Salles d'exposiitons temporaires

The Tourist information office of Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhône gives gracefully private individuals or associations, of the city or from the outside, a showroom for a presentation of their works in the second floor of the Tower Saint Louis (no sale).

PDF Download the law (French doc).

PDF Download your candidacy (French doc).

THE TERRACE

The tower provides the visitors exceptional views of the Camargue, Saint-Louis canal, the salt marshes and the windmills. That is the unique point of view from the town, opened to the public, free access will be given to the telescope.

tour saint louis terrasse terrasse tour saint louis vue salins


SEE MORE

Visit from the traditional house of inhabitants from the marshlands

The Gardian’s cabin

Guided tours in July and August

Ferrigno Fish - canning factory

Balade sur les marais

« nègo-chin » Trips

Educational farm

The farm of Tadorne

CONTACT US
Office de Tourisme de Port Saint Louis du Rhône
Tour Saint Louis - Quai Bonnardel
13230 Port Saint Louis du Rhône

THE TOURIST OFFICE
welcome you from
January to June and from the end of August to December:
from 8:30 a.m until 12:00 p.m and from 13:30 p.m until 17:00 p.m (mon-fri)

July and August (end to the 25 th August):
from 9:00 a.m until 18:00 p.m (mon-fri)
from 9:00 a.m until 12:00 p.m and from 14:00 p.m until 18:00 p.m (sat)
from 10:00 a.m until 13:00 p.m (public holidays)

© 2020 Office de Tourisme de Port Saint Louis du Rhône - Legal notices